Thursday, April 26, 2012

Top 5 Freakiest Enemies In Games

#5 Mad Piano (Super Mario 64)
The classic mind scare of them all, an inanimate object come to life. This one particular piano though, left a lasting impression on a lot of players in Big Boo's Mansion. The Mad Piano is a spooky piano that springs to life when Mario runs by. As Mario runs in the opposite direction you can hear the piano's KLANG KLONK CLUNK KNUNG with each hop it makes. Those rows of razor sharp teeth didn't set a nice picture either. I remember in my first play through, I leaped onto the piano only to be furiously thrown off forcing me to run like many others have.

#4 Gravedigger (Castlevania Lords of Shadow)
Although not a very known game, I thought it deserved a spot here. Konami's most recent Castlevania spawned a reboot of the entire franchise. The Gravedigger originally appearing in Order of Ecclesia sported a less threatening appearance. LOS completely reimaged this creature into a Cthulhu like entity with tentacles emerging from a split on its mask like face. I will admit LOS has it's nice share of creepy crawlers but this one specific entity actually scared me. The fact it has those tentacles was enough but also adding the giant shovel it wields this entire being screams death.

#3 Marowak (Pokemon Red/Blue)
Taking my first step into Lavender Town I already knew things were eerie. The town mixed with the music, 'floating hand' girl and the whole thought of dead Pokemon already informed the young children playing this game, this town is not to be taken lightly. But something distinct about this town remained...Cubone's mother. Through the story you find out Team Rocket had murdered the mother of Cubone, Marowak and Marowak's mother was possessed by a Ghost that forbid travelers from moving forward. Admittedly for a game that prided itself on younger audiences this concept is extremely grim. The player in a sense has to kill Marowak AGAIN to finally let her soul to rest. Bless Marowak's soul.






#2 Beelzebub (Devil May Cry)
I recently bought the DMC HD Collection and I can confidently say these things gave me shivers. Watching Dante walk into sewers and hearing multiple buzzing noises then soon being surrounded by the maggot infested flies is not how I wanted to spend my weekend. These...Flies...Are so disturbing to me personally and I even like bugs! There's just something about a maggot vomiting, abnormally huge fly that creeps me the f*** out. I was just glad one shotgun round could kill it.




#1 Redead (Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time)
This might be everybody's number one and quite overused but I feel it still deserves this spot. The Redead's are what scared me from playing Ocarina of Time till I was about 11. I can remember watching my friend play this when we were young. Right when she first walked out of that temple, we saw the dark skies, the fire ring around Death Mountain and the decrepit Castle Town. It painted a dreary picture but the shrill cries of women and moaning in the background are what really frightened the 7 year old me. The worst was when those Redeads stood up and slowly began walking towards Link, I knew I was going to be afraid of them for a long time. A part of me still is to this day.

Did any of these guys freak you out or did they not or is there anyone I didn't mention that you thought should have been on here? Write your response in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment